Mark Thomas is a Chartered Surveyor specialising in construction contracts advice & dispute resolution. He has acted as an expert witness in litigation & arbitration for over 25 years. He has served on the Councils of the Academy of Experts & the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators & has lectured widely on expert witness topics both in the UK & overseas.
Expert witness evidence is required by all manner of tribunals. Many practitioners worry about appearing at a hearing and being cross-examined but by far the most important and frequent role for an expert is the preparation of a coherent and persuasive report (both preliminary and final). Mark Thomas will consider the essential ingredients within an expert’s reports including:
- The status of preliminary reports
- CPR Part 35 and other ‘Rules’
- Consideration of the evidence
- Matters to consider from a site inspection
- The use of simple plain English
- Formation of the Final Report for Exchange
- How to keep a fully annotated set structure
- Preparing reports on Liability
- Preparing reports on Quantum
- The use of photographs
- Appropriate use of appendices
- Resisting pressure from lawyers
- Declarations and Statements of Truth
Attendance is free and everyone is welcome, but note that advance notification of attendees is required. Please email email@example.com to reserve your place at this event.
CPD certificates can be provided if required.
Subscribe to the IoA event calendar. You can copy and paste this link into any product that supports the ical format:
Cardington, MK44 3LW